The NWTASSA will be holding its regular AGM on Monday, September 21, 2020 from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. MDT. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the meeting will be held virtually using Zoom. The Zoom link along with the 2020 agenda and 2019 AGM minutes can be found here.
Congratulations to all the skaters who aprticiapted in the 2020 NWT Championships!
Thank you to all the volunteers that made this event possible
To find the results from the 2020 NWT Champisonships click HERE
Job Opportunity: Sport Director
Northwest Territories Amateur Speed Skating Association is accepting applications for a part-time sport administrator. For further information and to apply, please email NWTASSA president, Alex Clinton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Key responsibilities and activities include but are not limited to:
- Program planning and administrative assistance for president and board programs
- Researching and writing funding and grant applications
- Grant activities coordination (travel and venue bookings, reports and data collection)
- Website management and maintenance
- Membership registration
- Games and camps registration and coordination
- Communication with clubs and general membership
- Events and sport promotion
- Other duties as directed by the board.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong computer skills including experience in Excel, MSWord, email, databases, Skype, website management, social media
- Candidate must provide own computer
- Knowledge of the sport of speed skating an asset
- Approximately $30,000 annually for 80 hours/month averaged over 1 year of work (hours may increase in winter months and be less in the summer). Hours are flexible.
Closing date, March 10, 2020
The NWT Amateur Speed Skating Association invites you to attend the 2020 NWT Speed Skating Championships, Feb 29 – Mar 1, 2020 in Yellowknife, NT.
About the Meet:
- Ability format. Skaters will be ranked based on seed times, and groups will be selected based on these seed time rankings. This is a modified ability meet, meaning that skaters will race against boys and girls with similar seed times to their own.
- Relays will be skated if there is time at the end of the competition. Relay team selection will be discussed at the Coaches Meeting.
- Skaters aged 5 and under (on or before June 30, 2019) are in the Rocket category and skate only at lunch on Feb 29. Skaters aged 6 and up race all day.
- All skaters must wear the required gear or they will not be permitted to race.
- Rockets: ASTM F 1849 certified helmets or CSA-approved helmets (those used for hockey, snowboard/ski and skateboarding only), cut-resistant gloves or mitts, and knee pads.
- All other skaters must wear the following protective equipment: ASTM F 1849 certified helmets 2or CSA-approved helemts, safety glasses with strap, bib-style neck guard, cut-resistant gloves or mitts, knee pads, and shin pads.
- Skaters T2T and older must wear a cut-resistant undersuit or cut-resistant skin suit.
Online Registration (includes waiver): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7Qsc4EAOJn6rUE4OIYW3I-HLqpjbmiO8CPoJivQXSLT3vBQ/viewform
Fees: All divisions $45/skater; Rockets are FREE! 1
- Clubs outside of Yellowknife
- Make cheques payable to NWT Amateur Speed Skating Association (NWTASSA)
- One cheque per club
- Yellowknife Club
- Payment may be made by cash, cheque (payable to the Yellowknife Speed Skating Club) or EMT (send to email@example.com. Please be sure to use the password “yellowknife” and indicated which skater your transfer is for.)
Entry Format and Deadline:
- Coach or Club representative: Please complete one summary sheet per club including seed times for all skaters.
- Email summary sheets to NWTASSA Sport Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight Thursday, February 20, 2020.
- Any changes or potential scratches should be sent as soon as possible.
Late entries are not guaranteed participation. If participation is possible, the registration fee will be double.
Medals will be awarded after the completion of competition on March 1, 2020 for each group.
Subject to change. Clubs will be notified.
Friday, Febraury 28, 2020:
Practice Ice: 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. for out of town skaters.
Coaches Meeting: 7:00 p.m., PSAV room, Multiplex.
Saturday, Febraury 29, 2020 & Sunday, March 1, 2020:
8:00AM On-ice warm–ups
9:00AM Racing begins
Please volunteer – we need your help!
Many officials and helpers are needed to put on this fun event.
Please contact Martin Rourke at email@example.com if you can volunteer as an official or meet helper. Positions include: timers, place judges, lap counters, runners, clerks of course, on-ice track stewards.
There will be coffee and food for officials, volunteers and coaches available at the meet. We need volunteers to help feed our officals, volunteers and coaches! If you are in Yellowknife and able to make
something, please contact Jana Dunn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concession is located upstairs in the arena.
Grocery store is 2 blocks away.
We look forward to seeing you at the 2020 NWT Speed Skating Championships.
• Meet Coordinator: Jody Pellissey (email@example.com)
• NWTASSA Sport Director: Andrew Goodwin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Congratulations to every skater who participated in the AWG trials on Jan 24th and 25th. The hard work is paying off and the results are showing! Below is the final roster for Team NT – Speed Skating
Skauge, Kali YK
McEachern, Maica YK
Kapraelian, Madeleine YK
Messier, Rebecca YK
1st Alternate Tanche-Hanna, Amaria Ft S
2nd Alternate Touesnard, Josée HR
Acorn, Sage YK
Duperré, Noam YK
Picek, Kaleb IN
Dunn, Lochlan YK
1st Alternate Clinton, Byran YK
2nd Alternate Barnard, Maliq YK
Erasmus, Ava Ft S
Hult-Griffin, Seigna IN
Lafferty, Mikayla Ft S
Pellissey, Georgia YK
Mcleod, Dalton IN
Hult-Griffin, Stryden IN
Rourke, Sylvain YK
Dizon, Luke YK
1st Alternate MacGillivray, Lachlan YK
Kerry Egan YK
Alexandre LaRouche YK
2020 Arctic Winter Games
All of the following information can be found at sportnorth.ca
Deadline for registration is DECEMBER 20th!
Please follow the links below to register:
Here are the 3 steps to complete registration.
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL 3 STEPS OR YOUR REGISTRATION WILL BE INCOMPLETE!
Step 1: Click respective link below to complete registration online.
Step 2: Submit the consent forms to your regional coordinator!
After following the link, consent forms need to be printed, signed and sent to your regions coordiantor, see below;
North Slave: Bill Othmer, 867-669-8336
Mackenzie: Val Gendron, 867-688-0496
South Slave: JJ Hirst, 867-688-0496
Step 3: Go to sportnorth.ca to pay for your registration – $150
Join us for a BBQ at the Yellowknife Ski Club on Saturday Aug 24th @6:00 pm
Burgers, hot dogs and beverages will be provided by the NWTASSA!
Please feel free to bring a side or dessert to share
NWTASSA AGM will be held during the BBQ from 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Positions up for election are;
- President (2 year term)
- Secretary (2 year term)
- Treasurer (1 year term)
If you have any questions please contact Andrew – email@example.com
Registration for NWT Speed Skating’s summer camp is open until July 31, 2019.
The camp runs from August 21st – 25th in Yellowknife, with experienced coaches providing young skaters with a mix of on-ice and dry-land training each day. Our coaches this year are Kaylin Irvine (2x olympian!) and Jacob Graham (current national team member!)
Group 1 skaters pay $65 total for the five days. Skaters in Group 1 are usually aged 12-17, have some competition experience, and are working towards being a competitive skater at southern events.
Group 2 skaters pay $50 total for the five days. Skaters in Group 2 are usually aged 9-13, have less or no competition experience, and are focusing on developing their skills.
Register now, click on the link below!
If you are unsure which of the two groups is the most appropriate for your child, check with their club coach for advice. If still unsure, contact NWT Speed Skating and we will make a recommendation on your behalf.
Please have your payment ready – in cash or as a cheque payable to NWTASSA – when you drop off your child on the opening day of the camp.
For any other questions about the camp, contact NWT Speed Skating and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
Registration closes on July 31th. No late registrations will be accepted and there are no refunds available for cancellations after this date.
Congratulations to everyone from Hay River, Inuvik, Fort Simpson, and Yellowknife who participated in our 2019 NWT Championships this past weekend.
The race protocol, containing full results, can be downloaded here.
See you next year and good luck to our athletes heading to Junior 2 in Sherbrooke, QC and CanWest in Grande Prairie, AB!
The NWT Amateur Speed Skating Association (NWTASSA) is proud to announce the Speed Skating Team NT representing the Northwest Territories at the 2019 Canada West Short Track Championships in Grande Prairie, AB.
Seigna Hult-Griffin – Inuvik
Kali Skauge – Yellowknife
Sage Acorn – Yellowknife
Luke Dizon – Yellowknife
Lachlan MacGillivray – Yellowknife
Kaleb Picek – Inuvik
COACH: Kerry Egan, Yellowknife
MANAGER: Jon-Paul Picek, Inuvik
ST CanWest, a T2T event, will be hosted by the Grande Prairie Peace Wapiti Speed Skating Club at the Coca-Cola Center in Grande Prairie, AB.
For more information on Speed Skating Team NT contact NWTASSA: